Sunday, September 7, 2008

Happy 1st Birthday Emma!!!!

Then....
Now

I can't believe that Emma is already one year old! It seems like yesterday we were in the hospital having her and now she is walking and talking! It is amazing how fast life has moved in the last year.
Emma's Birth Story
I was admitted to the hospital around 5pm on the 6th to be induced. At about 7pm the nurse put in a suppository like thing that is supposed to soften the cervix. It can sometimes start labor, but for the most part is not supposed to do anything other than soften the cervix. Almost immediately I started to get crampy and a back ache. As the night went on the back ache progressively got worse and I couldn't sleep, get comfortable or do anything. It was the most miserable pain ever, and it was a constant pain. There was never any relief. At 3am the nurse came in and said she was going to give me a shot to stop the contractions I was having. I didn't know it at the time but the back pain was actually contractions. She said Emma wasn't reacting well to the medicine and that I was having one contraction on top of another. Almost immediately the back pain stopped and I was able to get some sleep. That was the best shot I have ever gotten! At 545am they started the pitocin. I started to get some nice contractions around 8am, but once again they were one right on top of the other and Emma's heart didn't like it. So they turned back the amount of pitocin I was getting. That's when things came to a screeching halt. From that moment until 6pm NOTHING happened. I slept most of the day, because I lost a lot of sleep that night. Plus I couldn't have anything to eat :( At about 1030am Dr. Wang came in to check me and I was 3-4 cm dilated but that was it. I wasn't checked again until 6pm when the nurse practitioner Sherry came to check me and I was still 3-4 cm. At this time, Sherry broke my water and then things started really going. Right away I started having strong contractions, but once again they were one right after the other. I think there was only like 30 seconds to a minute between each contraction. At 630pm Sherry came in and said she didn't like the way my contractions were going, that they weren't effective. And she was concerned about Emma's heart rate, because it was being affected with each contraction. At this time she said the best thing to do was have a C-section. Andrew and I both said ok, cried a few tears, because this isn't the way we had wanted things to go, but knew it was the best decision. Then like 30 people showed up in the room to get me ready. Before I knew it they were wheeling me down the hallway to the surgery room. I was very nervous about getting the spinal epidural, but it was very quick and almost completely painless. Next thing I knew, Andrew was in the room with me and the doctors were saying "ok about a minute until you're a mommy" then I heard the most beautiful cry in the world! Once Emma was out they told us she had the cord around her neck, so it was a good thing we did the c-section.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a Happy Birthday party and story! Thank you for bringing Emma into our lives!